Windies humble England in T20

West Indies captain Carlos Brathwaite celebrates after taking the wicket of England's Liam Plunkett to win the T20 match in Durham

West Indies captain Carlos Brathwaite celebrates after taking the wicket of England's Liam Plunkett to win the T20 match in Durham. Richard Sellers

Cape Town - England limited over skipper Eoin Morgan has defended the decision to rest Ben Stokes for the one-off T20I against the West Indies in Durham.

On a cold and wet evening in Durham, West Indies were put into bat but their innings was ignited by Chris Gayle [40] - who struck his 100th six in the shortest format of the sport - and Evin Lewis [51].

Captain Carlos Brathwaite (3-20) and Kesrick Williams (3-35) then undermined England's comeback.

England went on to lose the match against the Windies by 21 runs after rain delays.

From then on the innings fell away. He is in decent form after a solid showing in the recently concluded Caribbean Premier League but Gayle's status as Windies' premier six-hitter is in jeopardy from the powerful Evin Lewis who already has two T20 global hundreds.

The hosts' bowlers had pegged West Indies back from 106-1 after 10 overs with Adil Rashid taking 3-25.

Injured After Porsche Car Runs Into Crowd At Boise Car Show
As of now, the driver is cooperating with the police during their investigation and has not been cited, the newspaper reports. LeBar said the driver was among several who had turned right off of Entertainment Avenue onto eastbound Overland Road.

Louisiana-Lafayette at Texas A&M
That one victory came against A&M 21 years ago in Lafayette, when the town partied for days afterward. Those were among eight Aggie turnovers, four of them interceptions off quarterback Brandon Stewart.

How Nick Jonas Learned of Selena Gomez's Kidney Transplant
Following a private performance for fans to celebrate her upcoming album, Tell Me You Love Me , on September 15, 2017 in Los Angeles, Lovato opened up to People about her thoughts on Gomez.

Gayle hit three fours and four sixes in his typically aggressive knock before West Indies stumbled and lost nine wickets for 104 runs.

Plunkett continued to check the Windies' progress by removing Lewis, Marlon Samuels and Kieron Pollard in his final two overs, while his Yorkshire team-mate Rashid followed suit in claiming three scalps as the tourists somewhat limped through to 176-9 from the remainder of their allocation.

Buttler holed out immediately afterwards, though, and when Bairstow perished it left England's tail too much to do as the Windies were able to warm themselves with a well-earned victory. Plunkett narrowed the margin of defeat by hitting two boundaries in his knock of 18.

Speaking ahead of the match in the north of England Morgan said: "I can see both sides of it, of course guys want to see him play".

A rematch between the pair would have provided some much-needed context for a stand-alone fixture that could be seen as little more than a palate-cleanser between the Test and one-day global courses.

Latest News