It's believed a blood infection that resulted in the amputation of a man's legs could have been contracted after he was licked by a dog.
Greg Manteufel thought he just a severe case of the flu.
On June 27th 2018 the Manteufel family experienced a medical emergency when Greg started feeling ill, within hours of the onset of symptoms, Greg's body started to go into septic shock.
Manteufel and wife Dawn. "Looked like someone beat him up with a baseball bat".
Doctors told them Manteufel was having complications from an infection that was later discovered to have come from a bacteria called capnocytophaga found in dog saliva.
The infection caused Manteufel's blood pressure to drop, which is why the circulation to his limbs decreased, causing them to turn black. Writing in the medical journal BMJ Case Reports, they said she developed confusion, a headache, diarrhea, a high fever, and eventually sepsis and organ failure.
Doctors in Wisconsin say he more than likely contracted it from his dog's saliva.
Tesla reports record $717.5M net loss in earnings report
It was the last financial update before the second half of the year, when Musk had vowed the company would be profitable. During the second quarter, Tesla laid off 9 percent of its workforce as it worked toward Musk's promise of making money.
Health Department Reports County's First Human West Nile Virus Case of 2018
As of July 26, 17 of the 93 CAES mosquito traps located in CT towns have had positive test results for WNV according to the CAES. The state department of health confirms three new cases of the West Nile virus, two in Hinds County and one in Itawamba County.
The best photos of the weekend's lunar eclipse and blood moon
The eclipse began at 10:44 pm on Friday night ending at 4:58 am on the wee hours of Saturday. This is the first Central lunar Eclipse since 2011.
The family has since set up a GoFundMe to raise money for the operations and rehabilitation that Manteufel will need, and it's already raised over $10,000.
"If they're very unwell, they should keep their distance from their pets", he said.
He first had to have his feet amputated, then his legs up to the kneecaps, then his hands and portions of his arms.
"This infection in his blood triggered a very severe response on his body", Dr. Silvia Munoz-Price, an infectious disease specialist, told Fox 6 Now.
The response forced doctors to amputate Greg Manteufel's legs. Manteufel also spent his entire life around dogs, which makes the blood infection all the more surprising. "It's just chance", Dr. Munoz-Price told the Patch.
'More than 99 percent of the people that have dogs will never have this issue.
If you have one of these conditions and are bitten by a cat or dog, the CDC recommends calling your doctor immediately to describe your animal contact. "People with weakened immune systems include, for example, those who drink alcohol excessively, who have had their spleens removed, and who have HIV infection or cancer".